Posted to alt.home.repair
Jazzer[_2_] Jazzer[_2_] is offline

Default Septic alarm

On Dec 3, 3:36*pm, RBM wrote:

Since your problem is intermittent, the only thing you want to determine
by disconnecting the alarm wires from the panel, is the integrity of the
panel itself. After some period of time, if it still goes off
intermittently without the float wires connected, you know the problem
is in the panel itself. Once you determine that the panel is OK, you
reconnect the wires for the alarm and cut the float off at whatever
junction box or connection point you have access to, and insulate the
two wires. If the alarm still goes off intermittently, you have bad
wiring. If it doesn't go off now, you have a bad float

I am with you on most of this. There are just a couple of things that
need clearing up.
When I was reading up on septic alarm systems I saw that there were
two main ways of installing systems.

The cheaper way was to use a stand-alone alarm box that was wired to
the alarm float in the septic pump chamber.
The more expensive way was to use a panel and from there the circuit
went to an alarm and also to the septic alarm float.

The builder of my house chose to use the cheaper route and so there is
no panel.
You kept mentioning 'panel' so I'm not sure if you were referring to
the second method above or not.

Perhaps by 'panel' you were just referring to the 'circuit board'
inside the alarm box?

Since your problem is intermittent, the only thing you want to determine
by disconnecting the alarm wires from the panel, is the integrity of the
panel itself.

The reason I am confused is because you talk about disconnecting the
'alarm wires from the panel'.

Then you talk about 'without the float wires connected'. That I
understand.

So I have left the float wires disconnected from the alarm box and
have powered up the box.
If the alarm now goes off, the problem is obviously within the alarm
box and nothing to do with the alarm float or the wiring going from
the float to the box.

I have a strong suspicion that the alarm won't go off now. That the
problem is with the float/wiring.

Once you determine that the panel is OK, you
reconnect the wires for the alarm and cut the float off at whatever
junction box or connection point you have access to, and insulate the
two wires. If the alarm still goes off intermittently, you have bad
wiring. If it doesn't go off now, you have a bad float

Here's where I lose you again. If I substitute "the panel is OK" with
"the alarm box is OK" I don't follow you about reconnecting the alarm
wires?
The alarm wires are all inside the alarm box.

I basically have: Alarm box---------power plug
---------alarm float wire
----------alarm float
that's it.