Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Latest scam on the elderly

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

If I end up with a bad product or bad service (and I have) it will be
after I have done all of the research that I feel is required and have
made what I consider to be an informed purchase. At that point I have
no one to blame but myself.

Just wait until you're older and your brain slows. A friend, now in his
80's, got conned into buying a security system from some high-pressure
salesmen who knocked at his door. While he can still resist most phone
solicitations (partly because he can't hear) once he's opened the door to
someone, anything can happen. As an evangelic Christian, he was mightily
surprised to find out he had purchased something from Mormons, who
apparently use the skills they learn proselytizing door-to-door in their
sales
work.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/12/us/12coldcalls.html

The salesmen are mostly former Mormon missionaries from Utah who cut
their teeth - and learned their people-skill chops - cold-calling for their
faith. In Chicago and in its suburbs where their employer, Pinnacle Security
of Orem, Utah, has shipped them for the summer sales season, they are doing
much the same thing, but as a job. . . Pinnacle's salesmen are also applying
skills learned in the mission field, like "mimic and mirror," a technique of
adapting one's posture and bearing to the person being spoken to as a way of
inducing trust - if his arms are crossed, you cross yours; if she tilts her
head in asking a question, you do the same . . .Newbies, for fear they may
retreat to their cars, are dropped off and left on foot without shelter or
access to a bathroom unless they can gain admittance into a house to make
their sales pitch.

--
Bobby G.