Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Table Saw Safety & The CPSC

. I'm careful because it's obviously dangerous.
Obvious because the blade is flying past your fingers. I'm certainly
not against people strapping every conceivable safety device to their
tools and body, in fact, I get a kick out of seeing goofy people
weighted down with external gear, ear muffs, gas masks, face masks
gloves, rube goldberg blade guard contraptions and on and on.

--
Jack
Add Life to your Days not Days to your Life.http://jbstein.com

Sawstop's main saftey device is totally unintrusive. Blade guard, anti-
kickback cauls and riving knife are not at all in my way down to about
a 1.5" rip. Guard, cauls and rive are easily removed and just a rive
placed back in in a few seconds.

Ear protection will save your ears (mine are damaged already from
machines and drums. Dust masks will keep you safe from proven
carcinogines. Safety glasses will save your eyes.

Those who knock all this stuff really are neanders.

I always thought "neanders" meant guys using hand tools, i.e.
pre-electric? I love power tools, and generally don't like doing things
by hand that can be done with power. I firmly believe that guys like
Norm, and a billion other woodworkers, do not remove their blade guards
for better TV viewing, but like me, an unnecessary nuisance. Same with
ear muffs (except for my shop vac) Eye protection is a good idea.

I would not recommend anyone not take every safety precaution known to
man, but I would rather live "on the edge" I don't climb mountains, I
cut wood...

Have you never caught a kickback in the crotch?

Nope, never once. I rarely, close to never, have had kickbacks, and the
few I had never came near hitting me anywhere.

Have you never had a piece of stressed stock start pinching the blade
and climbing?

Yes, more than a couple.

Have you never nearly missed racking you hand across the top of the
blade when pulling back a ripped piece of stock?

Nope, never once. I know it only takes once but I have always had a
healthy respect for the dangers of this stuff. Not afraid, but not "not
afraid" either. I will admit as I grow older, my eyesight, reactions
and "sharpness" ain't what they were, and likely not going to get
better. I could see me some day forgetting to turn off my saw, and
taking a nap on the spinning blade... Saw stop will not be there to
save me, but save me from what I don't know. For now, my 50 years
experience is my protector, long as I remember where I am, and what
exactly I'm up to:-)

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com