Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] google3luo359@yahoo.com is offline

Default Septic alarm

On Dec 2, 11:07*pm, RBM wrote:

... To determine if there is a
fault in the control itself, and not the float or float wiring, you need
to disconnect the float wiring from it's terminals.

OK, I think I see where you are going with this.
Because you didn't say what test I should do after, it wasn't clear.

Here's the story now.

As I mentioned, yesterday the alarm went off spontaneously* at around
4:30 pm for one minute.
It was silent from then until today.
Today it went off spontaneously at 10:32 am for one minute.

So yeah, I'm going to open the box today and investigate.

Here's my thinking. Tell me if I'm going in the right direction.
I remove the alarm float wires going into the alarm box.
I then do a continuity check of the alarm float wire.
If there is a loop, then the alarm float is stuck ON.
If there is no loop, the alarm float is OK (for now) and there must be
an intermittent problem with either the wiring from the float to the
alarm box, or somewhere in the alarm box.

My hunch now is the following.
The alarm went off with a true positive a few days ago with the big
rain we had.
I silenced the alarm (just the red light was turned on) and it stayed
like that for more than a day.
At some point the water level went down (pump was working) but the
alarm didn't turn off (stuck) despite the alarm float being in the off
position.
The 24 hr. + on, inside the alarm box must have fatigued it in some
manner, and now it is 'flaky'.

spontaneously* = no rain, no water use in house