Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Looking for: Vee thread based worm wheel

On 12/2/2011 9:25 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

I think you wanted the square based thread used on lathes and mills.
A flat end screw rides in it or a half nut clamps on them.

No, I want a V based worm. As mentioned, I know what I want and why I
want it. It's a very low stress application. I like designing things
that work a bit different. Also known as, I enjoy being a weirdo
sometimes... G

Actually I'd use acme rod if I had any suitable acme taps laying around.
But the cutting of light duty vee thread worms is not all that uncommon.
There is a fellow not too far from me that makes tracking mounts for
telescopes. He uses V thread based worms. If it's good enough for
telescope use, it's good enough for me!

Jon