Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Septic alarm

On 12/2/2011 10:43 PM, wrote:
On Dec 2, 5:10 pm, wrote:

On the basic residential systems, there is no "reset". There is usually
an on off switch, an alarm test switch, and an alarm off switch. To
prove the alarm box is OK remove the two wires from the alarm terminals.
There should be some sort of marking, or take a picture and link us to it

Thanks RBM.

I'm not sure where you are leading to in your post.

On my alarm box I do have a 'reset' switch. The 'On' is coupled to a
'reset'.
It says 'On/Reset'.
The other pole is 'Silent' and just shows a red light when it turns
on.
There is another switch called 'Test' and this is a release one-pole
switch which sounds the alarm when the test is positive.

When you say remove the wires from the alarm terminals, you are saying
open the box to do this?
When you say there should be some sort of marking, do you mean a
marking to show where the terminal is, or do you mean that once the
wires are removed I would see a marking due to a short that occurred?

Since it spontaneously turned on and then off again around 4:30 pm
this afternoon it has been silent! It's now 10:45 pm.

Yes, you'd need to open the panel. Inside the box there will be some
wire terminal strips, usually with markings indicating what wires are
attached. There is probably a wiring diagram. To determine if there is a
fault in the control itself, and not the float or float wiring, you need
to disconnect the float wiring from it's terminals. It would be two
wires often marked A1-A2 . I would recommend killing the power to the
control before opening it. Keep in mind there should be two separate
power supplies entering the control. One for the pump, and one for the alarm