Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Oscilloscope 'floating' measurements

"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
It's not clear what you're after (echo).

For most technicians, the term "floating" in connection with scope
use, refers to 'floating the scope' which means:
Read This Part separation of the scope power cord's 3rd pin from
earth ground.

I didn't look at Tek's cautions/recommendations, but I know scope
manufacturers are familiar with the (nearly always) ill-advised
practice of Floating A Scope.

Are you unfamiliar with proper and safe practices, or unfamiliar with
using a scope, or unable to express what it is you want ask about?
All of the above?

I'm fairly certain that all of Tek's recommended procedures are
safe.. maybe you're just not understanding what's presented in the
literature.. or maybe you're trying to apply the wrong procedure for
your intended purpose.

As far as various types of electronic gear/equipment go, it's very
common that there are floating voltages present inside them.

No one was placed here to try to understand what you meant, even
though you didn't say it.

Maybe you were thinking of sci.telepathic.electronics.

--
Cheers,
WB

The OP was very clear in what he wanted to do i.e. make scope
measurements on the primary side of a non isolated switcher. The only
'problem' was that he misinterpreted what had been said in a Tek
application note, which he now understands correctly for what it was.
I have seen no indication that he is incompetent at using a scope or
understanding safety procedures anywhere in his post or various
replies. He has merely asked for what people on here who are involved
in this type of work, recommend in terms of safe practice from both a
personal injury and equipment damage point of view. There has been a
consensus expressed, and as far as I can see, he accepts and fully
understands what he has been advised.

Arfa

Heh,I've seen the results of people connecting scope grounds to what they -
thought- was an OK place to connect. line V can really do a lot of
destruction.
I've also replaced a LOT of scope power cords that had the ground pin cut
off. I used to include a copy of TEK's publication on safe isolated scope
measurements with each of those scopes;my own personal policy,not TEKs.
I don't know if it ever did any good....

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik