Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Winston Winston is offline

Default PC power-on troubles

Ken wrote:
Tom Del Rosso wrote:
The PSU and mobo are a couple of years old, but previously tested good.
They've been in storage, and I just put them in a new case.

5v standby is good. Power switch works and is in the right place. But
when
I close the power switch, the power-on pin (of the ATX power connector)
stays high (4.4v).

The 5v standby line is 5v disconnected and 4.4v plugged in. That sounds
like too much of a load.

Hey! The fans just spun for an instant when I wasn't even touching it.

Now the fans spin for a second when I press power.

My experience under the conditions you describe would indicate the power
supply is failing. It could also be the MB, but the failing item is most
often capacitors that have lost some of the capacitance. If you have a
ESR meter, check the caps. My guess is you will find some bad ones that
are preventing the power from coming up fast enough.

Maybe something is loose or shorted.

Will try without the video card and other connectors (like reset)
disconnected.

Also connect your POST board and look up
the codes (for YOUR BIOS) that the MB tosses at you.
http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

--Winston