Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default More kitchen stuff

On 12/1/2011 1:25 PM, Curt wrote:
Planning our kitchen, will be a _U_ shape, part of the _U_ will be an
island, the rest will be along walls.

What features are most desirable for cabinets? For that I mean, lazy
Susan's, pull out trays, etc. If you've put together a wish list, or maybe
you've completed your wish list, would you share the pro's& con's?

Thanks

We had very little cabinet space in our condo kitchen, so had to
improvise. A long rod (about 2" diam. curtain rod) above the sink where
I hung pots, pans, collanders...loved the convenience, but ya' have to
have pretty pots and pans )

Pantry with roll out shelves for canned goods and bulk stuff; the
verticle shelves that roll out waste a lot of space.

Soffit cabinets for roasting pans and holiday stuff.

I like stuff on the countertops that I use often; or a "garage" for
mixer and small electrics.

A lot depends on who cooks and how often...entertain a lot? Company
eats in kitchen? I wouldn't waste space with a dishwasher; dislike
using the d.w.

Wood cutting block on island? I like that handy, along with a slot to
drop scraps into (nice for compost heap).

Jerry-rigged something to cover old, nasty metal tile on backsplash
behind cooktop by cementing on plain color laminate and then putting up
tempered, pattern glass (with texture side of glass against wall). Best
idea I ever had for kitchen decor, as it was simple to clean. Could use
plain or frosted glass with painted/paper behind it; ours was held up
with only clear silicone, so it was very easy to remove. No tile grout
in kitchen for me )

Lazy Susan with doors that revolve with the l.s.; don't like the
flex/open doors.

I had drawers beneath wall oven which were very handy for baking
supplies and table coverings.