Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default screwing into aluminum channel

On 11/29/2011 7:56 AM, Graven Water wrote:
Can you screw into aluminum that is 1/8" thick? I know you can screw into
sheet metal, but I wonder if 1/8" thick aluminum would just strip screws.

I found some aluminum channel online that is 1.5" deep and 1.5" wide, with
1/8" thick metal, online and I'm wondering if this would work as channel
to attach drywall to.

Of course they make screws that will work...

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0148432

These are steel; I'm sure w/ searching one could even find Al (assuming
willing to pay the price, of course).

_BUT_, having read your follow-up responses, as others have said you're
attacking the wrong problem. First fix the water problem, _then_ use
conventional framing techniques whether wood or metal won't really matter.

Trying this as a way to "engineer" around the problem is bound to fail
and be nothing but grief and expense down the road not to mention
possible health issues owing to mold/mildew that _will_ be a problem w/o
the moisture problem being resolved.