Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Windmill[_3_] Windmill[_3_] is offline

Default Flashing LED on old Quantum HDD PCB

Tim writes:

Yup sounds like a stuck drive. Those bigfoots did that a lot, as did the
earlier Seagates.

As mentioned by another, just rap the drive on it's side, and it should
let go. Be aware however, that the stuck head may pull off the magnetic
material when it breaks loose. Normally we did this as a last ditch
effort to get the data off of the drive before tossing it out.

Thank you for that. I had already backed up the drive (though I wish I
had also backed up all the partition tables, or done an image backup of
the entire drive) so I have the data.
If I can't find an explanation of the flash code, I'll try the rapping
technique.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m