Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Table Saw Safety & The CPSC

On 12/1/2011 2:13 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

I suspect that the cost of the saw stop far exceeds the cost to society
repairing cut of fingers. Cost of the saw stop must include cost to put
it on the saw plus the cost of repairing the saw after the emergency stop.

The more safety device the more people assume there is no danger in
using the tool, so since people will assume they are safe with the saw
stop there will be more accidents with the saw.

Very bad logic. Fingers on the floor vs a few hun extra for the saw;
no question it is a super deal. It just shouldn't be forced on anyone.
Liberty or the freedom to choose I am all for it so people like you
can be weeded out via the Darwin principal.

I've been using table saws for 50+ years with absolutely no safety
devices at all. No riving knife, splitters, blade covers or
anti-kickback device. I'm careful because it's obviously dangerous.
Obvious because the blade is flying past your fingers. I'm certainly
not against people strapping every conceivable safety device to their
tools and body, in fact, I get a kick out of seeing goofy people
weighted down with external gear, ear muffs, gas masks, face masks
gloves, rube goldberg blade guard contraptions and on and on.

I will say after all these years, I'm now thinking because my brain is
not always in gear, now would be a good time to think about quitting, or
buying a saw stop thing-ee.

As it is, I'd rather cut off my arm than give that freaking lawyer a
dime of my money.

Two things come to mind when talking about this stuff. One was a video
of a guy cutting wood shingles on a 20" saw spinning in his face as his
hands pushed logs as fast as he could though the blade. Most dangerous
thing I recall anyone doing on purpose. The other was my BIL cutting
shims out of a hand held 6" 2x4 with the biggest, heaviest CS I'd ever
used. When I warned him he could cut off a fing-ee, he just looked and
laughed at me. He only had been doing it for a living for 50 years...

I wonder how long it will take Darwin to weed us out?

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com