Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Chapman Roger Chapman is offline

Default Oh dear oh dear. CO2 Caused ice sheet formation?

On 02/12/2011 19:16, Tim Streater wrote:

I trained as an engineer, not a scientist, so I am much more open to
practical propositions than to either abstract theory or belief
systems unconnected with reality.

Theory is not abstract. A theory is based on a hypothesis that explains
current observation and that can make *testable* predictions. Relativity
is a good example of this.

A poor choice of words on my part. I was searching for the right word to
express my viewpoint but failed to find it.

What gives you the idea that science has anything to do with belief
systems unconnected with reality?

Nothing. That was poor editing on your part. TNP had said in the line
immediately above:
"At which point I assumed I wasn't dealing with a rational human
scientist but an irrational believer.. "

--
Roger Chapman