Posted to alt.home.repair
busbus busbus is offline

Default How do you stop a fresh water spring from running???

On Dec 2, 12:10*am, Joe wrote:

The builder/previous owner of the house must have known of the
problem. Consider getting legal advice as the situation could escalate
into something rather nasty.

Hello, Joe.

I have lived in the house since 12/1988. ) It was never an issue
until this past spring (no pun intended). The area was, of course, an
old farm and I believe the spring house was possibly in the lot next
to mine. But I can tell you this: we put an addition onto the house
back in 1998. We broke ground the last week of July, the driest time
of the year, and there were FIVE springs flowing into the hole we
dug. We had to dig down another three feet and fill that entire area
with stone to make a huge French drain. Came to find that the exact
same thing occurred under the existing structure!

Fast forward to last spring: Once all the snow melted and the ground
started to thaw out, I noticed water pouring out of my flower bed next
to the driveway. I immediately thought it was a spring. My neighbor
was positive it was a leak in the water supply to the house since it
is sort of in that area. I decided to wait it out. It also crossed
my mind that it was the sewer line but there was absolutely no smell
and the water was always nice and clear. As I waited and the ground
started to dry up (which took a really long time because it constantly
rained!), I noticed it would ebb and flow. Them finally, in the heat
of summer, it dried up. But now it is back and for good reason
because it has been extremely wet the past several weeks.

So this is a new occurrence but I don't think it is unusual. Maybe
something happened to where an existing spring got diverted or maybe
the extreme wetness of the spring caused a new one to form. Whatever
the reason, it is there.

Now I know I will have the same problem with a cistern once it is
filled. I know you need to pipe that additional water someplace but,
as somebody here pointed out, I don't think I can divert it to the
storm drain. Especially since the storm drain is on the other side of
a public sidewalk. Well, I guess I can rip out a section of sidewalk
and break the curb so I can put a pipe thru but that is not something
I would be allowed to get away with.

I like the suggestion of getting the community inspector down to look
at it. Maybe a better question would be: do you think it is "worth"
installing a cistern as part of this? From the looks of it, I am sure
I can fill a 5,000 gallon tank! But just because I can do it doesn't
mean it is a good idea.

Thanks
ray