Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Priming/Sealing drywall before wallpapering

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Thu, 1 Dec 2011 18:11:23 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Colbyt wrote:
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
I had read that new drywall needs to be primed/sealed before
trying to apply wallpaper; "Shieldz" was mentioned specifically,
so I bought a qt. can of clear Shieldz (it's a small area). After
applying one coat I checked online to see how long I should wait
before applying the paper, only to find that they say that for use
over mudded drywall I should use the white Shieldz -- but although
it's made in quart cans nobody sells it in quart cans.

Is there a good substitute that might be available in quart cans?

Perce

To facilitate the removal of the paper in the future all surfaces
should be primed with an oil base primer. Failure to do so will
result in damage to the drywall when the paper is removed EVEN if
it says strippable.
Tinting the primer to the same shade as the paper background will
help hide the seams for darker papers.

Why oil based? Latex, or water-based, paint is waterproof when it
dries.

That isn't my understanding of latex paint. Maybe marginally in the
gloss type.

It is true. Flat paint may "chalk" some, but latex paint isn't water
soluble, when dry.

Which does not mean it is not water permeable. Solvent paints are less
permeable than latex.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...