Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default More kitchen stuff

Curt wrote:
Planning our kitchen, will be a _U_ shape, part of the _U_ will be an
island, the rest will be along walls.

What features are most desirable for cabinets? For that I mean, lazy
Susan's, pull out trays, etc. If you've put together a wish list, or
maybe you've completed your wish list, would you share the pro's &
con's?
Thanks

1. Avoid corners; i,e, two cabinets at 90 degrees to each other. Yes, one
can use lazy susans but they are a pain too IMO.

2. Use pull outs, either vertical or horizontal in the base cabinets.
Twenty four inches is just too deep to reach stuff in the back without
crawling around on your knees; even then, they are too deep.

3. Drawers...

a. Compartamentalize all drawers. An easy way to divide a drawer is to
saw 1/4" deep "V" grooves at regular intervals along the sides; pieces of
1/4" ply can then be cut with matching "V"s for moveable partitions without
their lengths being critical.

b. Drawers should be deep enough to hold what they are meant to contain
but no more; for kitchens, that means mostly shallow drawers. To avoid lots
of drawers, I often use a sliding tray *IN* a drawer. I use 3/4" stock for
drawer sides, make 1/4" deep "V" grooves as above and then cut off a portion
along the top inside of the sides to serve as a runner for a half depth
(front to back) tray. Most of the trays I make are no more than 1 1/2"
deep.

c. My wife loves the specialized pan drawer I made under her oven
because it stores pans/trays vertically. It is just a high drawer with
front, back, bottom and four 3/4 x 1 1/2 pieces connecting the front and
back. IOW, no sides. The four connecting pieces have 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/4 deep
dados to accept moveable cross pieces which hold the pans/tray in a vertical
position.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...