Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oh dear oh dear. CO2 Caused ice sheet formation?

Tim Downie wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/12...carbon_levels/

I mean it must have caused it. Nothing else changes climate like CO2,
does it? Stands to reason dunnit?

Oddly, the link to the abstract in Science, seems to imply the opposite.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/334/6060/1261

"Previously published records of alkenone-based CO2 from high- and
low-latitude ocean localities suggested that CO2 increased during
glaciation, in contradiction to theory. Here, we further investigate
alkenone records and demonstrate that Antarctic and subantarctic data
overestimate atmospheric CO2 levels, biasing long-term trends. Our
results show that CO2 declined before and during Antarctic glaciation
and support a substantial CO2 decrease as the primary agent forcing
Antarctic glaciation, consistent with model-derived CO2 thresholds."

Tim

Well that of course is the problem. Every single piece of actual climate
data gets siezeded to

1/. Absolutely prove that global warming is all about CO2 and its much
worse than the worsest thing there ever was or

2/. Shows zero or negative correlation between temperature and CO2.

Its very confusing really.