Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Completely OT. Grocery delivery services

On 29/11/2011 19:40, Steve Walker wrote:
Lobster wrote:
On 29/11/2011 17:29, Robin wrote:
Any ideas very much appreciated.

Wot others have said (plus Ocado whcih I don't thijnk has been
menmtioned). You can check online if they cover your mother's
postcode.

I can vouch that it works. Eg we once did an order for MiL from
Australia after Skypeing her to establish what was needed.

Yeah, I know someone who routinely does his Mum's weekly shopping for
her that way: she has a phone but no computer, he has both and lives
in California. It's a weird world!

Actually, its thios bit of te world that fills me with something less
than the usual despair I encounter when 'going shopping' or 'watching
politicians on TV' or reading the Murdochian press.

This sort of thing actually is one of the 'green shoots' of recovery..a
way to use what's cheap to make life better and develop business models
that work in the 21st century.

The current 'crossover' mode of the supermarkets exactly suits today's
conditions,. Drive by shopping if you are near, or online if not.

Contrast the sheds falling like dominoes in the retail parks..

David

Yes, some sort of crossover is the way forward. I certainly tend to look
online for things, decide pretty well what I want and then nip into a
shed for a physical lookover. If the price is right (often by buying
online for collection from the shed) I'll buy from the shed, else I'll
order online and put up with the hassles of home delivery.

That's the bit that nobody seems to have solved. Buy online, but no one
at home for delivery.

I was working outside a house a few weeks ago & watched a postie trying
to deliver small packages without much luck. Almost every house he tried
he got no reply & had to leave a card. He reckoned an 80& failure rate.

I guess that's why Argos were delivering "next day" parcels at 10
o'clock last night.Jolly Russian driver doing a good Father Xmas
impression.