Posted to alt.home.repair
busbus busbus is offline

Default How do you stop a fresh water spring from running???

Hello,

I have a problem that is becoming pretty big. Early this past spring, I
noticed a lot of water running all over the bottom of my driveway and
sidewalk. At first, I thought it was a broken water line but it really
looked like a spring to me. So, I waited...and waited...and waited. Once
summer came along, it stopped. So I now know it is a spring.

Well, it has started back with a vengeance!!! It doesn't really bother me
but now that the cold weather is coming, it is going to pose a problem with
a public sidewalk being constantly coated with water and the ice buildup is
going to be horrible. Not to mention all of the ice on my driveway, which
is a hill.

I know it may be too late this year and I will have to deal with it but how
does one stop a spring from running? It comes out of a big flower bed that
I don't really want to lose but if I have to, I will. The only thing I can
think of is some sort of French drain and, maybe a cistern of some sort. I
cold make this into a positive and capture a bunch of water to use to water
my lawn and garden and to wash the car and such.

Any and all thoughts welcome!!!

Thanks,
busbus