Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mouse[_4_] Mouse[_4_] is offline

Default Bench grinders vs. Buffers

On 12/1/2011 8:11 PM, wrote:
I am forever looking for a better way to finish small parts. I have
been looking at buffing machines and the first thing that struck me
was the price discrepancy between them and comparable size bench
grinders.

Whereas I can get a 1/3HP bench grinder for $40, a no-name buffing
machine of the same power is $105. If one goes up to, say, Baldor, one
is lucky to see any change from $300.

Why is that? Is it a bearing issue? Why would a $40 bench grinder not
be able to do the same job as a more expensive buffer?

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

I had to press a $40 bench grinder motor into service when my 30 year
old buffer burned out and the new one was a week away.... Mounted a
couple of tapered adapters to it but it really sucked--got too hot in
about 10 minutes, low power. Better than nothing I guess. (the tapered
adapters give a few extra inches between the buff and the
motor--available from Rio Grande jewelry supply.) If you are not going
to be polishing for an hour at a time the cheap grinder motor might be
good enough.

--
:3 )~