Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Single flashing red light

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 09:23:34 -0500, Art Todesco wrote:

On 11/30/2011 7:22 AM, Red Green wrote:
Harry wrote in news:25da532f-f438-46d5-8262-
:

On Nov 29, 7:00 pm, "hr(bob)
wrote:
On Nov 29, 6:23 pm, wrote:

We were setting at an intersection yesterday in Alabama. Besides the
regular red light there was a single red light hanging, and it had a
white strobe that looked like it was part of the flashing red light
and it shined more at the bottom. One of the passengers said that
this is a camera to see who runs the red light.

Is he right?

In our area, western Chicago suburb of Naperville, emergency vehicles
can signal lights to turn red and flash a brilliant white strobe
light. Our strobe lights are usually not part of the actual traffic
light, but are mounted on the same crossarm that supports the traffic
signal itself. I don't kknow if there are any standards for such
lights, but they are becoming somewhat more common.

What is the purpose of the flashing white strobe?

Harry K

To get more attention then the f'n cell phone?

Actually, the strobe is more of a flashing lamp, I think, to let the
emergency vehicle know that he actually changed the traffic light. As I
recall, in one direction the light goes on steady and in the other, it
flashes. I think it flashed in the direction the emergency vehicle is
going and steady on the cross street. Some are controlled by IR-type
remotes and some by RF remotes.

No, it's a strobe. It has nothing to do with emergency vehicles.