Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Table Saw Safety & The CPSC

knuttle wrote:
On 11/30/2011 4:43 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

The more safety device the more people assume there is no danger in
using the tool, so since people will assume they are safe with the saw
stop there will be more accidents with the saw.

When I worked for the Exploration and Production laboratories of Shell Oil,
we had a pretty loose consideration of safety rules, relying mostly on
common sense. Then we got a new Vice President, recently reassigned from
Shell's other lab on the west coast. He was absolutely nutty about safety.

He implemented a rule that all gas bottles had to be chained to the wall!

Sure enough, a fellow pushing a cart with two dewars of liquid nitrogen
passed a stack of gas bottles, the same stack he had passed every day for
years.

He hit the stack with his cart.

Even though the bottles were chained, he knocked one bottle of nitrogen
loose. It fell and knocked off the valve. Like a torpedo, it went through
the wall and into the parking lot.

Safety rules vs. being alert. Which to choose? Let me think...