Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can a skid steer be used to level a gravel road

On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 13:23:00 -0600, Ignoramus19744

On 2011-12-01, DanG wrote:
On 11/30/2011 10:22 PM, Steve B wrote:
id wrote in message

I have a gravel road that deteriorated, has huge puddles when it
rains, and the water enters the building from the side.

http://yabe.chudov.com/Enterprise-Du...-8975.jpg.html

The problem, I think, is that the slight grade that is there, is kind
of ruined and so the water does not go down along the road towards the
rain sewer. Instead, it puddles and some goes into my building.

Can this skid steer pictured he

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...i/291.JPG.html

be used to rearrange that gravel a little bit to restore the grade?

Or is it too light duty?

thanks

Call for a truck or three of gravel and spread it out.

Done.

Quickly.

Steve

NO This is probably why he is having the problem. If you just raise
the exterior grade without making provision for drainage you are just
compounding the problem. I would imagine that the building has weep
holes one or two bricks below finish floor. This becomes the highest
possible point for exterior grade - everything else has to be below that.

This is my thinking exactly, that adding stuff to the road is the
wrong solution. I think that the road needs gravel removed or moved to
the side.

No, gravel allows water to flow through it easily. It's the dirt road
underneath which needs the grading. Then a flat load of gravel on top
would be OK.

--
Intuition isn't the enemy, but the ally, of reason.
-- John Kord Lagemann