Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default !/2" router collet - 6" cut-off disk - Oh Yeah

"Tom Gardner" mars@tacks wrote in message
A recent post by Bob Le Londe makes me want to explore using a router to
spin a 1/32" x 6" cut-off disk. A brand new router will cost less than
the two Barden bearings in my current spindle that is run at 10k with a
1hp 3-phase motor and a flat belt. That spindle started life as a drill
quill 50+ years ago and it's showing it's age and wear...nothing if as
perfect as it should be for quiet, trouble free production use. Thus the
quest for a better solution.

So, what's the best way to mount a wheel with a 7/8" AH to a 1/2" collet
on a router? Something off the shelf?

Make a mandrel if you have a lathe. Even a cheap crappy lathe like mine.
For something like this you don't even have to be too perfect. I was
awfully proud of the first few mandrels I made for special applications, but
now I do it as a matter of course. A 7/8 bolt with a short unthreaded
shoulder will work nicely. If its just right a nut, lock washer, flat
washer to lock the disc in place, but that's not likely to happen. A
threaded coupler half drilled out is more likely. After drilling it out
half way chase it with a tap and substitute for the nut. Turn off the first
half of the threads on your bolt to fit the collet on the router. DO NOT BE
TEMPTED to round the head of the bolt. Leave it hex so you can get a wrench
on it. You will need to turn the back side of the head flat and square to
the shank of the bolt so your disc will set nicely against it.

Or you could see if there is an off the shelf solution. There probably is
one.