Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Karas[_2_] Michael Karas[_2_] is offline

Default LM7824CT replacement

In article d06e1195-0aa7-4ab7-813a-
,
says...

I need to replace this TO220 regulator in a power supply I'm working
on. The original is a "CT" suffix however looking through the books I
see that there are several other versions of this part. The original
seems to be a 1.0 amp device while several others appear to be able to
handle 1.50 amps. I would like to buy a few extras to have on hand.
Aside from any appreciable price difference, would it make sense to
buy a bunch of "CT's" that will only handle 1.0 amp when there are1.50
amp parts available that will do the equivalent job? Thanks, Lenny

The 1.5A part may have a somewhat beefier onboard series pass transistor
than the 1.0A part. However a big difference in the two parts is the
point that internal current limiting kicks in.

On the other hand keep in mind that the primary driver on how much
current that a particular 7824 regulator installation can handle is
limited by the power being dissipated in the device. Input to output
voltage differential and type/amount of cooling will be major factors to
consider.

--

Michael Karas
Carousel Design Solutions