Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default making a cannon

On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 00:47:38 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Martin Eastburn wrote:
Brass isn't strong like Bronze is. Bronze is like a steel.
Think and be careful.

Martin

On 11/30/2011 7:40 PM, wrote:
My grandson was in a museum gift shop and spotted some " Big Bang "
cannons. The cannons that use carbide to produce acetylene. The
price was not on the merchandize so he took one of the smallest to the
clerk to find out the price. And he and I were both surprised when
the price turned out to be $108.xx. He decided that was way too much
money.

I thought I would make him a brass cannon for Christmas. So today I
went to the local scrap yard and got some brass. _And this evening
found a drawing on the internet of a 6 lb bronze field gun that I can
scale to a size to fit the brass I bought. And I think I am good to
go. But thought I would ask if anyone has some suggestions. I am
curious how other people have dealt with the trunions. I am inclined
to make them as separate parts and silver braze them on.

Dan

Will this be a functional item? If so then the easiest way to make it
safe and would be to line the bore with a steel sleeve.
Trunions could then be done very solid. Basically you would finish the
exterior. Drill through the cannon, silver braze in the trunion shaft
then bore the cannon barrel bore, Machine a sleeve and silver braze that
in as well. With the steel you could also make a breech plug and attach
it to the sleeve as well.

For a Carbide Cannon..Id doubt he would need a sleeve. Just walls more
than 1/4" thick in brass.

Steel carbide cannons had mild steel bodies and wall thicknesses of
around .125 or so.
A lot of them were simply die stamped sheet metal and two halves crimped
together though most were simply cast iron and not very damned thick.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

If you look at the wall thickness of this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Conestoga-Co...-/150709532470

On the other hand..Ive seen a few blow up..but..stuffing a payload down
the bore was NOT recommended in the first place

Gunner

Gunner Asch