Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark Zacharias Mark Zacharias is offline

Default Normal to Have Warm Outlet to Portable Oven?

wrote in message
On Nov 28, 12:20 am, Vacillator wrote:
Thanks for the many replies !! I plugged the roaster into another
kitchen outlet, and it got just as warm, both the end of the cord and
the outlet. It just gets "warm" not "hot". The wall receptacles
are all 3 prong. The male prongs on the cord are clean and look like
brass.

What's the ampere rating on the toaster ID plate?

"warm" Sounds fairly normal to me. "Hot" - not so much. At 120 volts (US)
the thing probably draws on the order of 10 amperes. Enough to heat up any
cord or outlet. Toasters do not run continuously, and unless the cord or
outlet / wiring are defective, warmth such as this does not indicate a
problem.
It is the ohmic resistance of the wiring and the plug connections that can
cause a problem. That is why portable heaters etc should not normally be
used with extension cords.

Mark Z.