Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark Zacharias Mark Zacharias is offline

Default Nakamichi CD Player 3 - needs to heat before it's able to read disc

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
wrote in message
Hi,

I have a Nakamichi CD Player 3, circa 1992, that is a terrific player,
but
requires to be warmed up for about 1.5 hours before it is able to read
the
disc; After this point, then it works fine.

I am not sure why the warm up needed, but it is drag when you have to

build
in this lead-time into your CD listening.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening and steps to remedy will be
most
appreciated..

Thanks

I would assume the focus voltage is drifting a bit and out of capture
range
until warmed up. Find the power pot (preset) measure R both ways and mark
with pen and adjust lower first one way and try and then the other no
more
than 5 percent and see if it makes a difference

Or don't, unless you are thoroughly experienced in carrying out such
adjustments ... :-\

Arfa

In my experience fooling around with the adjustments rarely actually fixes a
malfunction, they merely mask or compensate for what is actually wrong. For
example, increasing the tracking gain might (temporarily) seem to fix a
skipping problem, when the actual problem is bad lubrication on the laser
mechanical path (rails, etc as Arfa mentioned). Diddling with the adjustment
pots is best reserved for after parts replacement or other service, and
should be done by a knowledgeable hand, preferably with service literature
available.

Mark Z.