Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Two problems at once

On 29 Nov 2011 10:14:15 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

micky wrote:
We looked in the engine compartment fuse box, 12 to 18 inches from the
light cluster, and the tail light fuse was blown. Replacing that
made everything else work again.

Could hitting the guard rail blow the fuse?
Ever heard of this happening?
How?

Was it blown, or mechanically broken? Was there any metal deposited on
the glass?

I thought he showed it to me, but now I'm not sure I got a good look.

I believe the center part, 3/16 of an inch or so, was missing, but
don't remember any metal on the plastic.

It's an ATM mini fuse

It's entirely possible for fuses to fail due to shock, especially if they
are old. The new plug-in types are better in that regard than 3AG types.

Speaking of new fuses, the high current fuses, 30 and 40 amps, in my
new 2000 toyota have metal parts shaped like a cross, with two 90
degree folds near the bottom, so the metal is horisontal, then up, and
then horizontal again. So it looks like there is an empty black spot
in the middle of the metal, like it's blown. What kind of crazy
design was that?

With the one that is 3" behind the opening in the dash, I have onliy
one perspective, and it looked blown. I had to take it out get a
better view of it. I can find no puller for these big ones, except a
hoolk on one side, so it fell in between the plastic knee panel and
the metal one, so I had to ake off the plastic to get at it. What a
pain for a fuse that wasn't even blown.

--scott