Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne[_4_] Tom Horne[_4_] is offline

Default Ah, the enjoyment of gun ownership and use...

On Nov 27, 1:35*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 11/27/2011 12:56 PM, Home Guy wrote:

George wrote:

Actually he posted a very reasonable on target response using
real words.

He (Nate Nagel) posted a very emotional if not irrational response to my
dry and accurate (if depressing) commentary regarding the quoted story.

He acused me of "politicizing" - as if any aspect of gun ownership and
use in the US can be discussed in any other terms. *Gun issues rank
right up there with abortion and taxes as being the MOST political
issues in the US.

There are no "gun issues" save for people owning them who have not been
properly trained in the safe use and handling thereof. *US citizens have
the right to own guns, don't like it, don't live here - and don't
criticize us for our choices if you live elsewhere.

Guns are and will be used to kill innocent people, intentionally, by
accident, and under very depressing circumstances. *Gun proponents can't
wish those events away no matter how hard they try.

It was a hunting accident, you moron. *Now there possibly (likely?) was
a lapse of judgment involved, but that doesn't make it any less tragic,
nor is an anecdote any kind of justification for running around and
yelling "guns are bad! *see? *see?"

Let me guess, you think that meat magically appears on little
shrink-wrapped styrofoam trays?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Nate
Your rudeness and name calling are completely obscuring any point that
you are trying to make. If your purpose is to alienate people who
might actually agree with a rational argument that is thoughtfully
presented then keep right on being abrasive.

I have to wonder why some proponents of gun ownership think that
turning a right into a duty is a good idea. If gun ownership were a
duty imposed on you by the state then that burden could be lifted from
you by the state. Gun ownership and carrying a gun is a right
intended to make it more difficult for the government to subjugate the
citizenry. Giving the government control of gun ownership is
legitimately seen as one step in a slide toward despotism. It was
Thomas Jefferson who said ""When the people fear their government,
there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is
liberty." There does not need to be any grand conspiracy underway
for the rights of the people to erode away to nothing. Like water
falling on a stone the outcome is inevitable unless that erosion is
deflected through the defense of all of the rights that the
constitution reserves to the citizens and not just the rights that the
government or even a majority of the population find it convenient for
citizens to exercise. I do realize that guns can be and are abused
but that does not make it a good idea to try to take away the basic
right that every American has to keep and bare arms.

--
Tom Horne