Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default screwing into aluminum channel

On Nov 29, 8:56*am, (Graven Water) wrote:
Can you screw into aluminum that is 1/8" thick? *I know you can screw into
sheet metal, but I wonder if 1/8" thick aluminum would just strip screws.

I found some aluminum channel online that is 1.5" deep and 1.5" wide, with
1/8" thick metal, online and I'm wondering if this would work as channel
to attach drywall to.

If these aluminum channels don't work, perhaps I could use PVC. *I found
PVC "1x4" planks at Lowe's, and two of these would give me the 1.5"
thickness, at about the same cost as the aluminum channel. *Or maybe there
are PVC "2x2" strips available somewhere. *It's in a situation where I
don't want to use wood.

Laura

They do make some PVC trim that measures 1 1/2" x 3/4". As long as you
can aim your screws into the 3/4" face, that would give you the 1/5"
spacing you want, or you could use Super Glue and make your own 2 x
2's

Of course, PVC is pretty flexible so keeping it straight from floor to
ceiling is going to be an issue.

2 questions:

1 - Where are you willing to use drywall but not wooden studs?

2 - Is the 1 1/2" a firm requirement? PVC trim comes in all sorts of
sizes that might work if you have some leeway.