Rider Josh

Default Routing a battery box hole into a guitar

"xrongor" wrote in message news:4H82c.469844$I06.5284441@attbi_s01...
good ole stewie mac. if you are simply screwing a plate over the hole (i.e.
not making a recess or a lip so the plate is flush with the back of the
guitar) when you are done the hole doesnt need to be that pretty.. you
should see one of my guitars g

but other than that, i think the solution has been well covered already.

randy

"Ed B." wrote in message
I'm adding some active electronics into a solid body electric guitar and I
need to route a hole into the guitar into which I will put a battery box.

purchased a battery box and template from Stewart Mac, and I have both a
Dremel with router bits and router base, and a Ryobi router. I'm not
experienced with using routers, but I've tried making some test cuts in
scrap wood and they're not coming out very well. My main problem is

staying
within the template lines. My first problem is how to use the template.
It's plexiglass, and I know I can't try and route inside the template
because as soon as the router bit hits the plexiglass, it will damage it,

so
I've just been using the template to draw the shape onto the scrap wood

and
then trying to route within the lines - not very easy. The other option is
to put some kind of bushing or bearing on the router shank and let that

hit
the template sides, but that only works once you've got the hole deep

enough
to where the router bit is past the template. I'm thinking there's some
easy way to do this that I'm missing. Any help would be appreciated.

Here's
what the template looks like:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Ro..._Template.html

Thanks,
Ed B.

My rule when doing work that has to look pretty is to try and use hand
tools whenever possible. It gives me the luxury of making my mistakes
slowly.

I would seriously consider using a brace and bit with a depth stop to
remove most of the material then clean up and remove the remaining
material with a mallet and chisel.