Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
P E Schoen P E Schoen is offline

Default Repaired Harbor Freight digital caliper

"Winston" wrote in message ...

[big snip...]

For your 'fixed' installations, you could solder
some small 'earphone' wire to the battery contacts
and use a huge, cheap external cell. (Huge = AA)

I didn't expect my post to generate such a big discussion, but it's been
quite interesting. Since I only use my calipers once in a while (it had been
years until I once again tried to use them and found out how to fix them),
it seems that just removing the cell is best, and that guards against
possible damage if it leaks. My machine shop is in an unheated building and
the temperature and humidity extremes may make leakage more likely.

Otherwise I think we have established that the normal lifetime of a 175
mA-hr cell, even with the typical 10-15 uA of on or off current, still
provides well over 1 year of life. Replacing it annually for $0.75 compared
to once every 3-5 years of shelf life does not warrant any expenditure of
time or materials for a high-tech (or even low-tech) solution. I've already
spent an hour or more in this discussion. At my normal consulting rate, that
would buy a hundred batteries!

But if removing the battery is too annoying, you might be able to cut a thin
slot in the battery compartment, and just insert and remove a thin, stiff
piece of mylar or similar insulating material to isolate the negative
terminal of the battery from the contact.

Paul
www.pstech-inc.com