Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped[_3_] stryped[_3_] is offline

Default 1996 Silverado problems... More information

On Nov 27, 1:17*pm, dpb wrote:
On 11/26/2011 5:25 PM, Frunobulax wrote:

Fix your fuel pressure problem first. Not every issue is electronic or
detectable by OBD II.

And if the pressure drops rapidly after the pump stops, it is one of two
things--the check valve in the tank mounted pump, or, more likely the
regulator.

Find the rubber section of fuel hoses, and pinch off the return line
(skinnier) with vise grips over a rag and if the pressure still drops
rapidly (say, less than 5 minutes), the problem is the check valve in
the fuel pump (replace the pump). *If pinching off the return line stops
the pressure loss, the problem is a leaky regulator.

And, btw, the regulator can be changed out w/o replacing the full "spider"

Haynes _ought_ to have this in it I'd think.

--

So do I leave it unpressurized, pinch the return line, then turn KOEO
then turn off the key and see if the pressure holds? Is it ok to pinch

Does the upper intake have to be taken off to acess the "spider" and
change the regulator? I have never messed with one of these before.
Always had a Ford until now.

I will say my dad owned this truck before I got it from him. He had
the dealer put a new pump on it about 100,000 miles ago.

I do appreciate it. And becasue I knew the cat was bad, last night I
drilled it out. It started this morning and seemed to run ok down the
road about 10 miles. But I would feel better getting this fuel
pressure issue solved before I start driving the truck again.