Posted to uk.railway,uk.d-i-y
Graeme Wall Graeme Wall is offline

Default Cue dots (Way OT) was German energy policy

On 28/11/2011 10:42, Andy Burns wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:

On 21/11/2011 17:55, Andy Burns wrote:

Graeme Wall wrote:

Specifically on F1, I don't know who puts the captions on, BBC or F1
TV,
I suspect the latter as they didn't change format when the coverage
switched from ITV to BBC. Again if it is F1 TV then they also have to
take into account sales to 4:3 areas.

But if it's a HD feed, surely that mandates 16:9, thye could have
different caption positions on for SD/4:3 and HD/16:9 feeds

There are no seperate feeds for 16:9 and 4:3 feeds, the conversion is
done at the end of the chain.

According to people who watched yesterday's F1 on RTL satellite, the
same captions *are* in 16:9 safe positions, rather than 4:3 safe
positions, so they *do* sell two streams ... and the BBC chooses to take
the 4:3 option.

There are always 2 streams from F1, their own complete programme and a
clean feed for other broadcasters. It will still be a 16:9 feed coming
from the F1 pres truck and the 4:3 (or 14:9) conversion will be done at
the BBC. What is probably happening is that the BBC are taking the F1
clean feed and inserting their own captions (which may well be a feed
direct from the F1 graphics truck). On the other had RTL may be taking
the clean feed and inserting their captions in 16:9, do they have their
own presentation team and interview cameras?

--
Graeme Wall
Railway Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail