Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Types of lead-free solder

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 19:20:15 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

Still no industry standard? Which alloy do you like for repair of new
boards?

Pick a solder formulation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solder#Solder_alloys
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/315929.pdf
For general repair, when I must use RoHS solder, I have several rolls
of 0.031" 96.5% tin, 3.0% silver and 0.5% copper alloy with no clean
flux:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/TENMA-21-1042-/21-1042
http://www.all-spec.com/products/KWLF27565.html
I have no clue if this solder is better or worse than any other type.
I bought a case fairly cheap, and plan to use it until it runs out.
There are cheaper formulations without the silver which might be
useful.

I also use 63% tin, 37% lead solder for older devices. It works MUCH
better than the RoHS stuff. I'll sometimes use it on boards that use
RoHS solder, but only if I suck off the RoHS solder first. Mixing the
two solder types results in a dull dross-like mixture.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D