Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default Curious longlived battery

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 01:36:25 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

ca 1995 I bought some 7yr diver watches from Woolworth. WHen they doed I
tried to replace the battery but the entire watch was sealed in silicone and
could not be salvaged. I had tied one of those watched to the handlebar of my
bicycle, face towards the sky. It still runs. Is it because the battery
remained flat? It is kinda miraculous!

15 years from a 7 year battery is quite impressive. I would guess(tm)
silver oxide battery. Lithium batteries can do almost as well, but
unless your dive watch is huge and can fit a coin cell, Lithium is
normally not used in watches.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~fotoplot/accbatcc.htm

I'm fairly sure you can disassemble the watch with the proper tools,
instructions, and main force.

A, fifteen years is not so impressive...how about a number of sets of AA
batteries from 1980 that were found in factory original equipment and
these still have a charge of 1.2VDC each (this was opened on Saturday at
out shop - sealed since 1980 - that's 31 years in circuit holding a
charge!)? They were the battery backup for 5101 CMOS RAM memory in a
video game called Robotron by Williams Industries.

Not the first time for us either, both Rayovac and Duracels have (in
some cases) retained a charge all these years in these old New Old Stock
video and pinball games.

Unfortunately this game (Robotron mini/cabaret) was our last NOS game
from that time (we had about twenty pinballs and videos sealed from
1980, that were sold and then opened in the past ten years)...but I've
kept some of the batteries.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com