Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Normal to Have Warm Outlet to Portable Oven?

Vacillator wrote:

Hi,

When I use a portable roaster / oven, the outlet that I
plug the cord into gets pretty warm, as well as the wire at the last
few inches. The cord has only 2 prongs, not 3. I think the roaster
is circa 1970. Is this OK? Anything to worry about? Of course the
manual that comes with it says nothing about volts/ amps/ etc, just
says plug it in and cook. This roaster is pretty big and has lots of
heating element material to heat up.

Are the prongs clean and shiny? Oxide on the prongs or the contacts
in the outlet cause a voltage drop & heating. It wll be conducted up
the wire for a few inches. Kitchen outles can get a lot of cooking
grease and crap in them, as well. If the outlet is old, it should be
replaced on general principals and with a quality 20A outlet.