Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Cutting padlocks

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 19:34:05 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

Of course, it would be nicest to simply unlock it, and any tips or
suggestions about how to coax it open are welcome. Brass body, looks
like chrome steel hasp and brass key. Have not tried penetrating
oil, hammer bopping, vibrating, heating or cooling yet. Saving the
lock is unimportant
so cutting is a good alternative as I've wanted an angle
grinder/cutoff tool
for a while. (-:

We use this master key at work. It has never failed to open a lock
http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/36-Bolt-Cutters/H6270

At work I have used a similar Bolt cutter. Works fine on most locks.
There is one lock I ran across that was hardened and it would not cut
it. A very stout fellow at work tried and all it did was put a chip
in the jaw of the bolt cutter. We needed to get in so cut the hasp
the bolt went through.

if you have one,a Dremel MotoTool and an abrasive cutoff disc will cut it.

or visit Harbor Freight and get an angle grinder and cutoff wheel.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik