Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Cutting padlocks

wrote in message

Just put a ball of axle grease on the whole lock. In 20 years it
might take a can of carb cleaner to get enough off to get the key in.

Or use cosmolene.

Ah, the smell of "monkey ****" (and far worse names) is the smell of - - -
Army Surplus stores! All the cool stuff was packed in cosmoline. I still
have some stuff packed in it somewhere in the basement in brown paper - some
surplus files for very fine finishing (some just mm's wide) and what I
thought was an unending supply of mat cutter blades that's finally running
out that I bought at a framing store closeout along with an incredible
assortment of short lengths of incredibly nice framing that I've been making
into miniature frames with old family photos tinted brown for Christmas this
year. Of course, like all blind lots, I got some nice tomato stakes, too.

It's almost lock cutting time. Got two battery dremels, 3 battery packs,
two small cutoff wheels on mandrels, two large, reinforced ones. Goggles,
Visegrips, gun oil, WD-40 with a tiny red straw, a hammer, a cold chisel, a
screw-tipped dent puller, the "fell off a truck" bolt cutters -- I am not
sure I am going to even try - they cut enough other stuff that I don't want
to break them asking them to do the impossible. I am sure my Jack Russell
would try to take down a moose if I let her, but she's not going to come out
well. I think the same might happen to 50 year old cutters that might have
been 50 years old when they fell off that truck.

The next lock gets a glob of silicone goo on the keyway and around the
shackle holes in the lock body. It will keep water out, won't harden and
fall out and yet should peel right off when I need to exercise the lock.

--
Bobby G.