Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Chapman Roger Chapman is offline

Default Reflecting cold

On 27/11/2011 09:43, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

snip

70F would be the temperature the room thermostat would be set to as
would 65F back in 1965 when that was the recommended temperature for
living rooms.

Where did this sudden need to be warmer come from? The recommended
temperature now is 21C, which I find uncomfortably warm unless I'm naked.

I don't think it is particularly sudden. Just a gradual drift over the
years driven by three factors.

The first is what is possible. Before central heating became the norm
open coal fires were the popular heat source and a coal fire in an
uninsulated and probably draughty room left the occupants feeling
toasted on one side and freezing on the other. Rooms without fires were
cold in winter. People of my generation will well remember ice on the
inside of bedroom windows in winter when they were young.

The second and third factors are related. Most people are physically
much less active these days and they also spend very little time out in
the elements when the weather is less than ideal. Sitting around
generates very little body heat and coming indoors after becoming
acclimatised to cold conditions outside makes even a relatively cold
house feel warm.

There is some anecdotal evidence that underfloor heating produces a
comfortable environment at a lower air temperature than panel radiators
and skirting radiators might possibly have a slight effect in that
direction as well.

A more even air temperature perhaps.

Part of the answer certainly but perhaps the fact that all of the
furniture in the room is also more likely to be up to air temp with
under floor heating than in a radiator warmed room also plays a part.
However I can't see skirting radiators doing much at all in that direction.

--
Roger Chapman