Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lieutenant Scott Lieutenant Scott is offline

Default Reflecting cold

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 10:48:45 -0000, Roger Chapman wrote:

On 16/11/2011 01:00, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

snip

Probably, but possibly just finless. The radiator I am sitting next to
is a single panel with no fins. Fins make a substantial difference -
about 42% greater output according to one site I checked.

I've never seen a finless one, what a strange idea! Even my slimline
single panel hall radiator has fins at the back.

This house had central heating fitted in about 1975, 3 years before I
moved in.

Oh, my house was BUILT in 79.

This house was built some time before 1851, the date of the first
Ordnance Survey map of the area.

No fins on any of the original radiators. I have a catalogue
which I think dates to the early 1980s (gas fired CH boilers from £75)
with not a single finned rad in sight except for Finrad skirting
radiators which was referred to as "this new concept". The section on
'Comfort' ends with:
"For these reasons perimeter skirting radiators provide fullest comfort
at lower air temperatures then are required by other forms of central
heating which have less efficient heat distribution. Even on the coldest
days there is no need to set the thermostat in the 70s to feel warm;
with perimeter skirting radiators the mid 60's produce that healthy
sense of comfort, at a present to breathe air temperatures."

What a strange idea. 70C is 70C, you can't have a more comfortable 70C.

I don't think 70C would be a comfortable temperature in any circumstances.

Oops. Severe typo?

70F would be the temperature the room thermostat would be set to as
would 65F back in 1965 when that was the recommended temperature for
living rooms.

Where did this sudden need to be warmer come from? The recommended temperature now is 21C, which I find uncomfortably warm unless I'm naked.

There is some anecdotal evidence that underfloor heating produces a
comfortable environment at a lower air temperature than panel radiators
and skirting radiators might possibly have a slight effect in that
direction as well.

A more even air temperature perhaps.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Dear Diary,
I've had this odd feeling for a little while. It's a surrealistically subconscious feeling that I was abducted by aliens and thoroughly probed.
Then a friend of mine told me they got me really drunk and dropped me off at a gay bar.