Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting padlocks

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 18:13:40 -0800 (PST), Evan
wrote:

On Nov 26, 4:58Â*pm, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 02:21:28 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

An ordinary hacksaw

If it's a hardened shank? Don't think so.

I still have a Master padlock from years ago. I had a storage unit for
a awhile. Crooks cut off all the locks along one side of the building
and stole property.

My lock has jaw marks, but bolt cutters never got more than 1/3 into
the shackle. Â*Maybe the cutters used were too small.

Nope, sounds more like they cut so many locks with their cutters
that the edges of the jaws have become damaged and could not
develop the concentrated leverage at a fine enough point to actually
cut the metal -- this is why the jaws on a set of quality bolt cutters
are removable so they can be replaced without having to buy an
entire new tool...

~~ Evan

And even new jaws will have one heck of a time getting through a good
hardened shank