Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting padlocks

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 01:14:51 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

"Robert Green" wrote in news:jarlvj$duu$2
:

"Steve B" wrote in message
. ..

An ordinary hacksaw

If it's a hardened shank? Don't think so.

That's the Egyptian theory. Lots of labor and lots of time.

Lots.

And lots.

Arthritis says "NO" to hacksaw solution. I suspect it's cut-off disk or
nothing at this point.

Dremel. That was my /other/ solution. The one that everybody here
--bizarrely--totally ignored.

Dremel. That's spelled D-R-E-M-E-L. Cheap, versatile, and cuts through some
pretty hard steel. Including padlock hasps.

A quote from my original post: "...or Dremel will do just fine, althought
it may take you a few minutes to cut through the hasp. I've cut through
a few [hasps] with my Dremel and the heavy-duty (gray cap) wheels."

Dremel.

Forget the hacksaw. Hacksaw was only /one/ of /two/ solutions I posted. The
Dremel was the other one. Dremel. Not hacksaw.

Dremel.

Dremel.

Got it? Do I need to say it again? I will anyway: Dremel. Not just hacksaw,
but Dremel.

You need the right cutoff wheel though - or about 2 dozen of the
wrong ones. You really need the fiber re-enforced ones.