Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Curious longlived battery

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 17:50:42 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

"Normal" is a matter of opinion. I've owned watches that use coin cells.

Yes, but were they lithium or silver oxide coin cells? One or two
cells in your watch?

They were lithium. Single cells. To be honest, I've never seen a
silver-oxide coin cell -- only button cells.

The buttons on my jacket look more like coins.

A bit of Googling showed that you're correct. Lithium cells are
usually called coin cells, while silver oxide are the somewhat smaller
diameter and fatter button cells. I also couldn't find any thin
silver oxide coin cells, but I did find plenty of lithium batteries in
both configurations. I stand corrected.

Note the first paragraph, which also trys to make the distinction:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Button_cell

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D