Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Aerial wifi antennae

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 01:40:29 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

Since HDTV came out, I basically get one different station in each room I
move the TV to. Someone joked that the reason HDTV was invented was to force
people off of aerial TV. Any anecdotes? I tried some booster antennae and
also a thru the AC antennae to no avail. The best antenna was one from a
computer TV card.

Get an outside antenna.
There's no such thing as an HDTV antenna. They're VHF, UHF, or both.
The amplifier goes near the antenna on the roof.
Use RG-6/u coax, not twinlead.
Try not to fall off the roof.

My uncle has had some better luck with a roof antenna.

No luck required. Indoor antennas only work in strong signal areas.
You've supplied no numbers or location, so you only get general
advice.

Are people out there silly enough to waste their time and money watching
cable?

I pay for DirecTV satellite. The local OTA (over the air) broadcast
programming is awful. I receive HDTV OTA fairly well, but only with a
rotator and self designed antenna and amplifier.

Antenna aiming:
http://www.tvfool.com

Antenna comparisons:
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html

The basics of HDTV:
http://www.hdtvprimer.com

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558