Posted to alt.home.repair
Home Guy Home Guy is offline

Default Looking for a more sensitive thermostat

CraigT wrote:

There is a secondary menu you can bring up by holding down two
buttons at the same time where you can choose H1, H2, or H3,
C1, C2, or C3. H1 C1 gives the shortest cyles, both running
and non-running, for Heating and Cooling and coversely H3 C3
gives the longest cycles. Both elctronic thermostats I've
owned had these sub menus.

Well, if you gave the make/model numbers of these thermostats, we could
obtain the documentation for them on the web and figure out what the
H1/C1 settings correspond to in terms of actual degrees (C or F).

As well, what type of furnace do you have? Is it forced-air
natural gas? Is it a heat pump? Is it electric?

What difference would it make what kind of heating and cooling I have.
The system is functioning properly, just not the way I want it to.

Different systems (particularly heating systems) have different
time-constants and different abilities to inject heat into your living
space. We are talking about a feedback loop between the thermostat and
the furnace (or heat-source) and you seem to have a problem about the
responsiveness or over-shoot/under-shoot of this feedback loop.

If your house is only 10 years old, then almost certainly your
HVAC fan is multi-speed - or at least it's capable of multi-speed
operation if it's connected to an appropriate wall-mounted
control switch.

It is not multi-speed.

So, you have a pretty basic furnace (a "builder's furnace") which is
what the contractor was able to pull off the back of someone's truck and
throw into the basement.

I'm going to guess that you're not the original owner of the house, and
now that you've been living in it for 6 months you don't like how the
HVAC system is working compared to your last house.

I am not looking for something wild and crazy. I'm just asking
for a little more of an adjustment than the amount that the
average thermostat provides.

Go to home despot or Lowes or some other hardware store and browse
through the thermostats and look for one that specifically lets you set
the span or hysteresis IN TERMS OF DEGREES C or F and not some unknown
parameter or value.

You might also want to do this:

Go and buy a $10 indoor digital thermometer that can track the MIN and
MAX temperature and display it to you at the push of a button. Set this
thermometer on the coffee table next to your favorite arm chair, wait a
few hours and hit the RESET button, and leave it alone for a few days.
After that, check what it recorded for the Min and Max temperature and
come back here and post those numbers.

If those numbers are Min: 66 / Max: 74, then yes, you have a problem.
If the numbers are 69/71, then I'd say what are you complaining about.

One final question: Have you programmed your current thermostat to turn
down the temperature during the night (say, from midnight to 6 am) to
something like 65 or 66, and then raise the temp up to 68 or 70 during
the day?