Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 14:56:27 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Other retailers do it now. Again, it will be a burden if the states
go after the little guy, but the big stores won't be hurt by it. The
software is available at reasonable cost. I'm not sure how it works
in other states or even in PA today (it has been over 35 years since I
collected taxes) but for the 5% collected, I kept 1% for my fee and
remitted 4% to the state. On a few million $$$ in sales, that 1%
would cover some software costs.

As for writing checks, it is usually done by bank transfer today.

Huh? "The software is available at reasonable cost" is a preposterous
statement. Look up the cost. The cheapest I've found is $1,400.00 per year.

Imagine a small, independent, bookseller who sells three books a day via his
modest online store (I know of several). He'd have to add a dollar per book
to his price just to be able to satisfy the tax reporting requirements.

That's NOT a trivial expense.

But that guy is not going to collect the tax. In it not trivial, it
is non-existent. The states are not going after him. Notice how the
subject line says "Amazon", not tiny book seller.