Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Looking for a more sensitive thermostat

CraigT wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I've read this thread, and a couple questions come to mind.

What's the goal, here? Stable indoor temps? If that's the
case, I remember hearing of two stage furnace, have a high
and low output. Runs longer on the low output, and helps
more evenly match the heat loss of the house.

Yes, slightly more stable temps. I am not looking for anything drastic.
Like I said, most electronic thermostats have adjustments for sesitivity, I
just want one setting more sensitive than the most sensitive setting I have
had in the past. I'm really not sure what the settings H1, H2, or H3 mean
exactly when it comes to temp. swings. If H1 allows a .5F swing and H2
allows for a 1F swing and H3 allows for a 1.5F swing then I guess what I'm
looking for is something less than .5F If H1 means 1F swing, H2 means
1.25F swing, and H3 means a 1.5F swing, I guess I'm looking for a setting
which allows for a swing of less than 1F.

There's a gradient across the room due to losses on the outside walls.
There's a gradient top to bottom due to stratification.
The air coming out of the heater vent is a LOT hotter than the setpoint.
There's infiltration.
You probably have a single point temperature measurement for the whole
house.
Given all this, I'd be AMAZED if you could tell the difference between
..5 and 1.0 degrees hysteresis in the thermostat.
Methinks you're addressing the wrong problem.

I think the Honeywell VisionPro 8800 will do what you ask. I just don't
think it will solve your problem.

I have to believe that there has to be some variation between the
manufacturers of thermostats and that there is one out there more suited to
me or maybe one with much greater control, but not to the point of causing
damage to the system.