Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default The Green Thing

"EXT" wrote in message news:4ece9bc4$0$2618

stuff snipped

In the late 50s, I was a teenager, and worked part time in a grocery store
in the bottle returns counter. In those days just about everything came in

glass container. Soda pop came in small and large bottles, refunded at 2
cents and 5 cents. Javex came in brown glass jugs refunded at 25 cents.

Sour
cream came in glass containers at 10 cents. Milk came in a number of

bottle
sizes. My memory fails me on other products that you paid a deposit on the
bottle and got refunded when you brought it back. In those days I could
recall all the prices and add them up in my head as we didn't get to use

an
adding machine or cash register.

Back then a kid could make some serious change knowing where to look for
stashes of deposit bottles. The local lover's lane was a great place, as
were the areas around the open but below grade subway tracks where kids
would congregate to drink and make out. I remember piling them up in my
wagon because I don't think we even had big plastic trash bags back then. I
piled up the bottles, not the kids, FWIW.

--
Bobby G.